The liberal arts requirements of Manhattanville College allow students to expand their knowledge and tap into areas that otherwise they may not explore. Unlike other institutions, Manhattanville encourages students to focus on areas other than their majors in order to attain a solid foundation. By completing courses for their major along with classes in other disciplines students are able to prepare themselves for everyday life, not just their prospective career.

I chose to become a biology major for several reasons. Firstly, it applies to all aspects of life. I am a practical person, and so I seek to relate the concepts that I learn in class to everyday situations. As an athlete, this can be particularly useful. Knowing the ways to maximize my performance level gives me a competitive edge that most do not have. Furthermore, my desire is to become a doctor – preferably in the field of neurology – and so majoring in biology is the obvious choice. My minor is psychology, which I chose based off my interest in neurology.

Several courses that I have taken in order to fulfill the liberal arts requirements have had an impact on me. For example, I took “Introduction to Sociology” and found that it is quite relevant to my future aspirations. Though it may not contain medical facts, the course taught me about how society and groups of people interact with one another. It also highlighted information about cultural differences that will be useful in my career as a doctor, for I must be able to understand the situations of all patients that I might encounter. Sociology also helped me understand my role, as an individual, within a community. By analyzing the root of the decisions that I make and the sociological theories that I tend to follow I am more able to acknowledge the impact that I have on society. Another course that had an effect on me was “Introductory French.” Since I am from Canada, extending my knowledge of the French language is beneficial, and will be useful should I encounter any French-speaking patients. This course also helped me improve my oral communication skills, as I was often required to speak aloud and even performed an oral examination. No matter the language, practicing public speaking is quite helpful, for effective communication abilities are required in all aspects of life.

I have also participated in various extracurricular activities at Manhattanville. I was part of the field hockey team for my first two years here. I am also a member of the women’s ice hockey team. Both sports have taught me great leadership, teamwork, communication, and organization skills. These sports have also led me to participate in various community service events. I hold a position on the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee, where we discuss issues, ideas, and events related to student-athletes and their presence in the community. I am also a part of the Tri Beta Biological Honors Society, which further promotes my teamwork skills, as we work as a group to fundraise, among other things. I feel that all of the groups that I am part of have helped make me more aware of the importance of working with one’s community. They have helped reiterate that helping people is rewarding and make me even more confident that a career as a doctor suits me.

All of the courses and activities that I have participated in at Manhattanville College have not swayed me from my original path as a biology major and prospective doctor. If anything, taking liberal arts courses has confirmed my desire to remain within the science discipline. That being said, the courses that I took to fulfill general education requirements have proved to be beneficial in one way or another.