What the Music Major Should Know (The Essential Starting Points):
The following general requirements are explained in detail either within this Manual or within the Music Department web site.
- All Music Majors must complete the Music Major Information Sheet each semester (available in the Music Department Office).
- All Music Majors require 130 credits to graduate and must pursue specific sequences of courses in their academic programs (see Degree Requirements and Recommended Sequence of Courses for a specific degree program).
- A successful audition is required for the B.A. in Music, the B.Mus. in Music Education, B.A. in Music with a Concentration in Musical Theatre and the B.A. in Music with a Concentration in Music Technology. Audition requirements are posted on the Music Department Web Page. Without exception, all music majors must take a Music Theory Placement Exam.
- All Music Majors in the B.A. in Music, B.Mus. in Music Education and B.A. in Music with a Concentration in Musical Theatre must meet ongoing performance requirements (see Undergraduate Performance Requirements and Applied Music Requirements for the B.A. in Music).
- All Music Majors are required to meet the Concert Attendance Requirements each semester to remain majors in good standing (see Concert Attendance Requirements).
- All Music students should be aware of the Classroom Attendance Policies for classes, ensembles and applied music lessons (see Class and Lesson Attendance Policies).
- All Music Majors must complete the Sophomore Review for Satisfactory Progress towards Degree Requirements to be considered as a major and to receive approval for the first portfolio review (see Satisfactory Progress towards Degree Requirements).
- All Music Majors must complete a successful Senior Evaluation (see Senior Evaluation Requirements and The Senior Comprehensive Examination).
- All Music Majors with a concentration in Music Management must complete one semester of Internship and the Internship Seminar in Music Management, with associated internship hours. These cannot be completed in the same semester (see Procedures for an Internship in Music Management).
It is each student's responsibility to meet the requirements for the Music Major. Members of the Music Faculty are available to assist with understanding requirements, but each student should be clear about requirements and responsibilities.