This section of your portfolio is for learning about and reflecting on the OUR PLACE assignment.
(Adopted for our use from: Tillman, T. (2007). Healthy Neighborhood/Healthy Kids Guide. Shelbourne Farms Sustainable Schools Project)
In this assignment, your job, as a collaborative group, is to create a detailed map of Ohnell Environmental Park (Our Place). This is an opportunity to get to know and begin to gain a sense of connection to our place. Before making your map, please discuss the following questions and incorporate your answers into your map making strategy.
- If you really wanted to give someone who has never been to the park a sense of what it is like to be here, what features do you think would be essential to include in your map?
- What would be the best way to symbolize features of the park on your map?
- What would be the best scale for giving the greatest viewers a sense of being in the park?
- How do you think your use of color and texture will affect a viewer's sense of being in the park?
- How can you use making this map as an opportunity to learn about develop a greater sense of connection to OUR PLACE?
Once you have discussed these questions and developed your map making strategy, please use the supplies provided develop you map. Once your group has completed your map, please have one person tak it to the library, scan it and then send the scanned image to each member in your group.
Once you have received the scanned image, please create a module with a link to your map on this page. Please incorporate a brief written reflection in which you describe your group's map making strategies bases on the questions you were asked to address before you began making your map.