An Inconvenient Truth

It takes time to connect the dots, I know that. But I also know that there can be a day of reckoning when you wish you had connected the dots more quickly. 

Watching "An Inconvenient Truth" by Al Gore was something very different than what I have watched before. I've watched various documentaries about sustainability but this one was definitely different. Al Gore clearly interested about the environment wanted to express his concerns with where the world is going and felt like he was not doing it from a political standpoint but from a moral one. In actuality, he believes political will is a renewable resource which I think is an interesting way to view that. Al Gore believes that, yes, although we cause pollution, we can also change it; We can stop pollution as well. He doesn't want future generations thinking, "Why didn't they wake up when they had a chance?" 

In his film he gave a lot of facts and pictures. At times, that throws me off especially when it comes to graphs and such. Seeing a lot of them at one time don't always have a reaction in my brain but regardless Al Gore managed to stir up a reaction inside of me.

Al Gore throws a lot of facts at his audience about different events occurring in the world and how it shows the demise occurring in our earth right now. For example, the documentary was created in 2006 and at that point looking back at the last 14 years, 10 of those years have the highest recorded temperatures. I'm sure that now, in the year 2012, it has only gotten higher, especially this winter that I'm sure had to be one of the warmest winters recorded. 

Some images that were shown were very sad which caused emotional connection to the documentary. For example, Al Gore mentioned that in one particular town in India there was 37 inches of rain in a matter of 24 hours. By saying it and showing the destruction by natural disasters like those and Hurricane Katrina it shows the effect that the earth can even have on itself. I also thought it was interesting that wherever there is an abundance of precipitation, there is also drought somewhere near by. I thought it was interesting because it was a fact that I never knew. 

But by showing these images of these disasters and showing the melting of the ice caps and the effect it could have on animals such as polar bears and their environment it makes one wonder what will happen as time passes. 

In one aspect I felt like he was really trying to touch people but he was doing this by brining in terrorist attacks. He did this because the question he was trying to pose was Should we prepare for other threats besides terrorists attacks? Although I agree, we shouldn't just prepare for terrorist attacks I feel that by brining in 9/11 Al Gore wanted to hit a nerve in people and make them wake up by emotionally connecting to a disastrous event. However, I think there were probably other ways to do this that would have been just as easily effective without having to bring in the concept of terrorist attacks. 

On the contrary, I felt like at some specific points in the Documentary, he was trying to blame America specifically for a lot of the things going on with the environment. Despite the numbers and graphs shown, the way he words his argument, he makes it seem like Americans are the ones to blame for the extreme high carbon emissions. He even states how China would never buy cars from us because they don't concur with their environmental policies. Although, I'm sure a lot of what he said is true, I did not really react well to the guilt trip he was trying to put on.

Despite this, I think my favorite part of the documentary would definitely have to be the end. I think it was beyond inspirational and I loved the way he did it. He builds his point on this essence of the American Dream which anyone, especially people in America can relate to. The way Al Gore lists and presents all the goals Americans have accomplished was a great way to build up to his final point which was that, if we can do all these wonderful things like be the first to have a man on the moon, then why can't we change the environment for the better? And I honestly, couldn't agree more with that.