Going to the AASHE Conference was an amazing experience because it was something I had never done before and benefited from in so many ways. I learned so many things and got to meet really exciting and amazing people. It was great to be in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania because I got a taste of their culture as well so it is experience I would not trade for anything. 

The reason I was so interested in this conference stems from my interest in sustainability. The reason I became interested in sustainability is because of an internship I obtained during the summer after my junior year in high school. I interned for many weeks at a place called The Science Barge. The Science Barge is a protype for urban farms that one would hope would appear on rooftoops on buildings in Manhattan. Since it was during the summer, different summer camps would come on and would learn about what urban farming was as well as sustainability and what it meant to be sustainable. The Bargre was used as an educational facility and as I was teaching I was learning as well. I had never heard about any of these things and never even knew urban farming existed and so as I was learning about these great things I got the privledge of teaching them as well. During the week I would teach camps, and on the weekends I would give tours to people who would come on and were curious as to what it even was. I learned about hydroponic farming and farming without soil as well as growing food vertically rather than horizontally to save space. I learned about different methods to cool the green house and that amazing food can be grown with hydroponics and composting. We had two different types of composting bins, one with worms and one without. We had different ways of recycling water through different systems called NFT and aquaponics. It was a great place for all the community which happened to be my community because I could walk every day to my job because of how close it was. I lived close to such an amazing place and did not even know it. It was because of that job that my interest sparked so much in the environment because I never realized in how much danger the environment was and how being sustainable was such a key element into the preservation of the earth. I never knew you could plant things without soil and everyday I learned something new and the fact that I could teach people new things was even greater than learning them myself. Because of this, I was very excited to be put into this first year seminar because I know I have so much to learn and that is why I was excited to go to AASHE as well because the learning never stops..