During Week 10, the topic being discussed was the The Amish & Photography.

Personally I've always been very interested in the way the Amish live. America is so westernized and tech-savvy that I could never picture myself living the way they do.

"The Amish hold humility as a highly-cherished value and view pride as a threat to community harmony. Because items such as personal photographs can accentuate individuality and call attention to one's self, they are prohibited from the home. Moreover, the Amish believe that photographs in which they can be recognized violate the Biblical commandment, "Thou shalt not make unto thyself a graven image." They want to be remembered by the lives they lived and the examples they left, not by physical appearance."

So basically photography is a huge no for this community. They view this as a violation of the Second Commandment which states: "Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth."

Whether you agree with the Amish standards or not, respect should always be in effect:"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

A little side note! There's a show on TLC called Breaking Amish.

It's about 4 young adults who go out into the "real" world; in turn, they will decide whether or not they commit to the Amish lifestyle or not. It's actually pretty interesting & I happen to love it! Here's the trailer: