Reflecting on my liberal arts career, I certainly believe that the communication skills I have honed will be extremely useful in my future career as a teacher. Teaching is communicating. Every time I speak in front of a class at Manhattanville, I am practicing to speak in front of a class of children. As an English Literature major, I have read, analyzed, and written about many novels, poems, nonfiction works, and short stories. These experiences have taught me to articulate my thoughts clearly and concisely, speak in front of others, and write direct and cohesive papers. These skills will directly correlate to my future work as an educator. In a school setting, I will communicate with students, administrators, colleagues, and parents. Effective and professional communication is vital. As a teacher of English, I will be responsible for modeling strong reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills. Further, I must accommodate multiple learning styles and abilities; the flexibility needed to reach each student will require quick thinking and effective explanation. I am confident that the skills I have gained and practiced in communication at Manhattanville have prepared me to be a clear, cohesive, and thoughtful teacher who can offer direct instruction and lead collaborative groups to best reach the students.

To the left, please find my personal teaching philosophy, written originally for a graduate class in the fall of 2016.