I believe in instruction with continuity and sequence in the classroom. Teachers should offer the best available information and useful ways to apply it. Routines help create stability, especially for younger children. Classroom rules of behavior would be established on the first day of class and agreed upon by all. By collaborating on the class rules everyone in the class would have a vested interest in respecting the rules. The rules would be posted in the classroom for all to see. I think that the teacher does need to have control of his/her classroom at all times. The relationship a teacher has with his/her students should be one of a mentor, guide and role model. It is a professional relationship with strict boundaries. I believe a good teacher should possess some of the following qualities: consistency, dependability, trustworthiness, fairness, creativity and good listening and speaking skills.

I believe that students learn best by doing. I would incorporate purposeful projects into my teaching that would engage students. Students who are visual, and kinesthetic learners as well as English Language Learners will benefit greatly from hands on learning. 

My classroom curriculum would focus on core subjects such as English Language Arts (ELA), Math, Science, Social Studies, and the Visual Arts. I would use a balanced literacy approach to English Language Arts. Every morning students in my classroom would write in their Writer's Notebook during morning routines and read throughout the day independently as well as instructionally. I believe that strong readers are good writers and vice versa. Math is about learning to problem solve and should be approached in a way that does not make students math phobic. I would incorporate manipulatives, drawing, literacy, and games into my math lessons when possible. I do feel that it is important that students know their math facts since they establish a strong math foundation. Inquiry Science develops higher level thinking skills. Inquiry Science provides students with an opportunity to think for themselves and ask questions about what they see and experience in the environment around them. The inquiry process gives students a forum to observe, explore and develop explanations about scientific phenomena. Social studies helps students make connections to the past, present and future. Social studies should give students valuable insights into history, culture, and the humanities. The visual arts is an area that I am very passionate about and would integrate into all core subjects. The visual arts provides students with an opportunity to express their point of view which is vital to growth and self esteem. I also plan on doing a community project in my classroom every year. Whether children come from privileged backgrounds or not it is important for them to have an awareness of the issues afflicting the world in which we live. Giving back is a great experience and one that can build altruism. 

I plan on using self-evaluations in the classroom so children feel invested in their progress. Children should actively participate in charting their growth and attaining goals should be rewarded.  

I also feel strongly that children who can be mainstreamed from Special Education have a place in the classroom. The world is filled with many different types of people. It would be an advantage to all children to be aware and comfortable with each other.

Ideally the most memorable teachers instill a life long desire for learning in their students. Skills acquired in the classroom should eventually find their way into real life situations. It is important that children graduate school with a sense of who they are and a skill set that will help them start the next phase of their lives. I think the time spent in schools is necessary for children to develop socially and intellectually.