Gabriella Barnes

Examining the Mission Statement

The mission at Manhattanville College is a complex goal and is aimed at producing both ethical and socially responsible adults around the world. The college promotes their mission statement through educational and extracurricular activities that focus on leadership, community service and outstanding academics. Determined to accomplish their goal; Manhattanville College has continued to develop the student population into the new working generation, skilled with new academics and professional insight. To be ethically responsible one must express moral obligation to the community and oneself. “Ethical” to me means always doing the right thing for others and yourself and going beyond the normal standards of society.“Socially responsible” students are students who can seize opportunity to benefit the community surrounding them., both globally and locally. These students are strong leaders that have strong connections with coordinators, teachers and classmates and can impact many lives. 

Being a part of Student Government Association (SGA) and the Castle Scholar program, as well as the Duchesne Center, I have been involved with leadership roles and challenging courses within the two years I have been here. As a Finance Representative on SGA I am responsible for overseeing budgets for over twenty clubs on campus. In addition, I overlook and help organize the Master Budget for SGA and Student Life. In this role I take on responsibilities to represent my fellow classmates and perform in my major area. Performing and distributing financial information for others to read will become a major skill I will need to have in the near future. It also gives me a leadership role on campus.

The Castle Scholar Program is another great program that really envelops the mission statement of the school and focuses strongly on encouraging students to be the best they can be. The Castle Scholar curriculum is made up of a one freshman seminar class, two three thousand level honor seminar, a fourth credit option (thirty community service hours) an internship and a senior retreat. From the two three thousand level classes I have already taken, I can attest to the educational challenge that the courses present both in and out of the classroom. In the classroom you are exposed to journal articles, excerpts and readings from several required texts. {Open discussion of the readings then to develop outlooks on the readings and get everyone involved.} A paper and presentation are then due at the end of the class and can take up to thirty minutes per presentation. Outside the class you are given trips to institutions for special educational purposes. Museum visits with curators and experts on the topic are there to give you extra knowledge and insight. This program also requires a minimum GPA of a 3.4 and a good social standing on campus, demanding students to be ethical and socially responsible in order to fulfill the obligations to the program. The fourth credit option was designed to allow students the opportunity to develop an educational aspect while serving the community. It also gives them the opportunity to change the community from their point of view on a topic they wish to support. The fourth credit also involves a lot of planning and research to be done before you can get it approved. 

As a Duchesne Scholar I have always given back to the community and I have been performing community service long before Manhattanville College. By the time fall 2012 rolled around I was prepared to take on more of a leadership position on campus. When I saw an opportunity to become a student coordinator I took it. Becoming the Creative Expression Through Art (C.E.T.A) student coordinator has been one of the most rewarding and challenging experiences in my college career. Not only do I teach art programs for underprivileged kids, I provide them with an art educational background through gallery visits and PowerPoint's. Every week we use different mediums to express ourselves on paper or through clay. My long term goal for C.E.T.A is to hopefully get the kids’ work hung up around campus to give them the sense of art appreciation and importance. As I am currently talking to some art studio professor; this seems likely to happen this spring.

Even though the kids are a part of my local community, a program like this can affect the world. These kids could be inspired to one day become artists and send messages to the world about their life stories. A true global community would be the world acting as one and always giving to one another. This community would possess the ability to constantly support one another and offer a helping hand. Even after my time at Manhattanville College, I plan to volunteer at children museums. Having Museum Studies as my minor and having an internship as a museum educator, becoming a volunteer at my local children’s museum would allow me to work at something I am passionate about while giving back to the youth.