Gabriella Barnes

Reflection Essay

November 28, 2013

For my first portfolio submission, I submitted an analysis of a company for my Global Finance class, so I decided to go in a different direction and pick a piece from one of my minors, Studio Art. I chose an artistic piece that I worked on while in the Castle Scholar class, Drawing in Museums and this particular piece was drawn while I was on a museum trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. I chose this piece because of the simplicity and elegance to the design of this figure. For this project, we were studying Greek and Roman sculptures. When I came across this statue in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, the sculpture stood out. The lighting reflected on the white stone creating beautiful tones of whites, grays and blacks. For my art piece I used shading to replicate these values. The flowing fabric also creates a sense of movement across the sculpture and pulls the eye slowly down and across the body. The tilt of her head was challenging to draw but her face was surprisingly easy. From the completion of this work I learned to work with figures with a curved spinal cord and to use shading to create different tones. I also had to work with a sculpture that was made in an image of a woman but had  the broad shoulders and the bulky body of a man, a difficult concept for me to illustrate.  I would later learn that most Greek sculptures imitated the male form and that the Romans were the first to differentiate between the sexes in sculpting. At the beginning of this class, I had a minimal skills in drawing sculptures and intricate shading. I really grew as an artist throughout the class. During this assignment, I became more confident in my ability to draw realistic figures.